Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Blue Note Records Festival 2007 - Part I

It's been a while since I last did a post here. Well, let's say I've been quite busy lately...

The holidays are coming up so I'm looking forward to a whole month of doing absolutely nothing! Well, I'll start by enjoying some concerts at The Blue Note Records Festival. I'll make sure to let you know how that went.

This Sunday (July 8th) I kicked off my annual vacation by attending day 3 of the festival. Jef Neve trio (B) – being one of my favourite acts for the evening – offered a great gig and proved that the trio is at its best in a live environement. The studio albums by the trio are a bit on the mainstream side of jazz, however the energy they genarate onstage and their great sense of improvisation took their performance to a higher level.
The closing act that evening was Chick Corea and xylophone player Gary Burton. A pretty minimalistic line-up for a fusion combo, if you ask me... But the results sounded surprising. The minimalistic approach left a lot to the imagination of the audience, which is always fun of course.
Anyway, I'll look forward to finding more about this particular duo.
By tthe way, I posted a review of Chick's latest album earlier this year. If you haven't already checked it out, do it now.

No comments: